Opportunities for Learners
The Anesthesia Undergraduate Program is excited to share the following award and recognition opportunities with our faculty, staff and learners.
For more information on these opportunities, kindly contact us.
Current Award Opportunities
Research Award Opportunities for Black and Indigenous Undergraduate Students (Undergraduate students only)
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) are currently hosting research award opportunities for undergraduate students.
Details about each program can be found below:
NSERC is hosting a call for applications for its Black Student and Indigenous USRAs program, which provides research experience to complement the studies of undergraduate students pursuing careers in the field of natural sciences and engineering. Successful candidates will participate in a 16-week program in the summer term and will receive a research award valued at $6,000 from NSERC with a match from the University for a minimum of $1,500.
CIHR and SSHRC have each introduced their respective Black Student USRAs program. The goal is to provide research experience that complements the degree program undergraduate students are pursuing, which may lead them to consider graduate studies careers in the fields of health and life sciences (CIHR) or the social sciences and humanities (SSHRC). Successful candidates will participate in a 16-week program in the summer term and will receive a research award valued at $6,000 from the funding agency with a match from the University for a minimum of $1,500.
If you need more information or would like to apply, email us!
The following competitions are now accepting applications.
Hold’em for Life Oncology Fellowships Competition (Fellows and Residents only)
This year’s Hold’em for Life Oncology Fellowships competition is open for applications from University of Toronto residents and clinical fellows pursuing cancer research, at any of the faculty’s nine fully affiliated teaching hospitals. The application form can be found online here: Hold’em for Life Oncology Fellowships.
We are pleased to share that this year, matching funding from the supervisor is NOT required.
- Award Amount: $50,000
- Funding must be applied to the trainee’s salary
- Applications will be considered with a start date within the July 1, 2024 – June 30, 2025 academic year
- Eligible candidates must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a medical doctor licensed to practice in Ontario
- Commit to spending at least 2 years in residency or clinical fellowship training, during which at least 1 year has a minimum of 80% protected time committed to research
- Be registered with the University of Toronto Post MD Program as a resident or clinical fellow
- Have a Supervisor with a faculty appointment at the University of Toronto’s Temerty Faculty of Medicine
- Projects must be in the field of oncology. Applicants can apply from any University of Toronto clinical department or related clinical discipline (including but not limited to: medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology, psychosocial oncology, medical imaging, pathology etc.)
Renewal proposals will be considered for current Hold’em for Life Oncology Fellows with the support of the supervisor. For these applications, please only submit a one-page summary that confirms eligibility criteria is still and a progress update.
Key dates for 2023 Competition:
Application opens: July 2023
Application deadline: October 6, 2023 (11:59pm EST) Late applications will not be considered.
Notification of committee review and outcome: by February 2024
Funding begins: July 1, 2024 (or at another date within the academic year, based on application and per committee approval)