Toronto Western Hospital
(4 positions per year)
Fellows gain experience in anesthetic management of wide spectrum of neurosurgical procedures consisting of neuro-oncological surgery (awake craniotomy, transsphenoidal pituitary surgery), cerebrovascular surgery (AVMs, aneurysms, intracranial bypass procedures), functional neurosurgery (epilepsy, deep brain stimulation), interventional neuroradiology (embolization, mechanical thrombectomy, vertebral augmentation) and major spine surgery including deformity corrections. In addition, experience in intraoperative evoked potentials monitoring will be a part of the clinical learning.
Fellows will participate in general emergency on-call duties at a frequency of approximately 4-5 calls per month.
Research opportunities include clinical neuroanesthesia outcome studies, pain management after major spine surgery, effects of anesthesia on neuro-electrophysiology, functional neuroimaging, anesthesia for functional neurosurgery and assessment of cerebrovascular reserve.
Regular education sessions will be arranged within the department with staff and residents - these will be seminars and/or lectures with discussions led by anesthesia personnel, invited speakers such as neurosurgeons, neuroradiologists and neurologists. Neuroanesthesia trouble rounds are held twice a month in the morning to discuss challenging cases and complications. In addition, there are monthly citywide neuroanesthesia and neurocritical care rounds. Fellows are also encouraged to attend neurosciences rounds, neurosurgical morbidity and mortality rounds and other neurosurgical and anesthesia meetings within the city.
(4 positions per year) (2 in January and 2 in July)
If you are interested in applying for the Neuroanesthesia fellowship at Toronto Western Hospital for:
- Applications for January 2024 have closed.
- Applications for July 2024 have closed.
- If you are interested in applying for January 2025 (closing February 1, 2024), please complete this online application form.
- If you are interested in applying for July 2025 (closing August 1, 2024), please complete this online application form.
- If you are interested in applying for January 2026 (closing February 1, 2025), please complete this online application form.
- If you are interested in applying for July2026 (closing August 1, 2025), please complete this online application form
Direct inquiries to:
Dr. Tumul Chowdhury MD, DM, FRCPC
Program Director- Neuoanesthesia Fellowship
Toronto Western Hospital
University of Toronto