Dr. Lo's current interests involve the development of custom electronic database systems that allow secure point-of-care data collection and clinical documentation. Users include physicians/health care professionals as well as patients. Goals of these projects include improving the detail and quality of data collection, while simultaneously improving the efficiency of data collection within the clinical environment and overall workflow. Data derived from current database projects have multiple outcomes/deliverables, including tracking of complications for improved clinical care, quality assurance/improvement initiatives, and research studies. As well, tracking of patient flow in real time allows Dr. Lo's group to examine and improve peri-operative system issues, especially delays - which are a source of inefficient patient care and increased costs. Electronic and organized collection of patient data allows trending of data over time to help guide clinical treatment and improve clinical documentation, such as in acute and chronic pain. Since developing a robust database infrastructure, they have the ability to deploy low-cost databases for clinical research studies, allowing bedside collection of data points, increasing the accuracy, detail, and efficiency of data acquisition, such as the one developed for our recent tranexamic acid study. His regional anesthesia program is one example where their database system has been designed around our clinical practice and fully integrated into our clinical practice and allows for documentation, complication tracking, patient flow tracking, trend analysis, statistical report generation, and forwards data to our post-operative acute pain service database for continuity of patient care. Dr. Lo's team is continually enhancing its databases with new features and interfaces in order to answer new clinical and research questions, streamline workflow and integrate research projects into our practice.
- Lo N. Amputation: acute and chronic pain considerations. In: Anderson M, Wilson S, Rosenblatt M., editor(s). Decision Making in Orthopedic and Regional Anesthesiology. (United Kingdom): Cambridge University Press; 2015. In Press.
- Waddell J, Lo N , et al. Quality-Based Procedures: Clinical Handbook for Degenerative Disorders of the Shoulder. (Canada): Health Quality Ontario & Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care; 2015. In Press.
- Baker JE, Pavenski K, Razuk AP, et al. Universal tranexamic acid therapy to minimize transfusion for major joint arthroplasty: a retrospective analysis of protocol implementation. Can J Anesth 2015; 62: 1179-1187. DOI:10.1007/s12630-015-0460-6.
- Waddell J, Lo N , et al. Quality-Based Procedures: Clinical Handbook for Knee Arthroscopy. (Canada): Health Quality Ontario & Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care; 2014 Aug. Available from: http://www.hqontario.ca/Portals/0/Documents/eds/clinical-handbooks/qbp-knee-arthroscopy-1412-en.pdf.
- Waddell J, Lo N , et al. Quality-Based Procedures: Clinical Handbook for Primary Hip and Knee Replacement. (Canada): Health Quality Ontario & Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care; 2014 Feb. Available from: http://www.hqontario.ca/Portals/0/Documents/eds/clinical-handbooks/hip-knee-140227-en.pdf.
- Waddell J, Lo N , et al. Quality-Based Procedures: Clinical Handbook for Hip Fracture. (Canada): Health Quality Ontario & Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care; 2013 May. Available from: http://www.hqontario.ca/Portals/0/Documents/eds/clinical-handbooks/hip-fracture-130717-en.pdf.
Staff Anesthesiologist, St. Michael’s Hospital
Clinical Program Director – SMH Regional Anesthesia
Honours and Awards
Name: The Art Dunn Postgraduate Education Award (2015)
in recognition of Excellence and Achievement in Postgraduate Education
Course Number: Undergraduate
Course Name: MMMD (Pain Management), PBL, LInC, OSCE
Course Number: Residency
Course Name: Anesthesia residents: formal lectures, morning rounds, clinical teaching and supervision, royal college examination preparation, mentorship. Surgery residents: pain management lectures
Course Number: Fellowships
Course Name: SMH Regional Anesthesia fellowship program
Course Number: Continuing Education
Course Name: Lectures – health technology in anesthesia, peri-operative pain management