Clinical Academic Appointments
The Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at the University of Toronto is the largest anesthesia department in Canada, with over 400 faculty members. We train a significant amount of anesthesiologists that practice in Ontario. We are also a major training site for future academics.
The Departmental Appointments Committee (DAC) is responsible for reviewing:
- New faculty appointments (all academic ranks);
- Junior promotions (from the rank of Lecturer to Assistant Professor);
- Three-year probationary reviews; and,
- Annual re-appointment process (community-based faculty members – part-time and adjunct).
Laserfiche, the Faculty of Medicine’s online system for the processing and approval of academic appointments, will be used for all clinical (MD), status only, and adjunct appointments. Applicants or administrative staff at our hospital partners are able to start the application process by uploading the files through online forms. Members of the DAC will have access to the system to review and approve applications prior to them being made available to HR to arrange for final review and approval.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for an Academic Appointment has been developed to assist you in determining the appropriate appointment category and to outline the application requirements. This website also includes a mapping of the approvals process for both primary and concurrent appointments.
We request that the complete documentation packages for all new appointments at any academic rank be submitted via the online system by the deadlines indicated below.
Documents that are received after the deadlines indicated below will be deferred to the next DAC meeting. Please try to plan your submissions for new recruits around these deadlines, or delays may be encountered. New academic appointments take approximately 3-4 months to complete, while those for Foreign-Trained Physicians can take 5-6 months.
Details of the appointment process and a list of the required documents can be found on the University of Toronto Clinical Affairs website.
For information regarding the academic appointments process, please contact email@example.com.
Dates and Deadlines for 2020/2021
The relevant deadlines for 2020/21 are as follows:
DAC Meeting Dates:
September 28, 2020
August 14, 2020
November 5, 2020
|October 2, 2020|
February 2, 2021
|December 18, 2020|
May 11, 2021
|March 26, 2021|
Application Process and Documentation Requirements
The overall responsibility for the assembly and submission of the requests for the appointment is the hospital to where the respective candidate will practice at. Complete application packages must be submitted online via Laserfische. This includes:
- Online Application Form (to be completed and submitted by candidate or the Hospital contact)
- Letter of support from Chief of Anesthesiologist
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- Updated Teaching Dossier
- Demonstration of Teaching Effectiveness e.g. (formal teaching evaluations, teaching awards, student testimonials, is required for appointment of full-time or part-time faculty as clinician-teachers)
- Academic Position Description (required for all full-time and part-time clinical faculty)
- Two Internal Reference Letters and two External Reference Letters (required for ALL full-time faculty and also for part-time and adjunct faculty at the rank of assistant professor or higher)
- A copy of the CPSO Certificate of Professional Conduct
- Search details (position postings, search committee membership, list of applicants including those short-listed for interview, justification for candidate selection - required for full-time faculty)
To be eligible for CPSO academic certificate of registration, foreign-trained physicians must be eligible for clinical full-time or (rarely) clinical part-time appointment at the rank of assistant professor or higher.